Nick Brunker's Blog
Gameday in Trenton
March 15, 2013 | View Comments
The Clones hope that tonight will be the night they can officially clinch a playoff spot. With the magic number at 1, if any of the following things happen...they're in.
- Cyclones win
- Cyclones lose in OT or SO
- Kalamazoo loses in any capacity (regulation/OT/SO)
With Toledo dropping another game on Wednesday as well, the Clones have a chance to clinch the North Division Title tonight as well. With the magic number for this at three, here's how that could happen:
- Cincinnati wins AND Toledo loses in any capacity (regulation/OT/SO)
- Cincinnati loses in OT/SO AND Toledo loses in regulation
While it's fun to look at the different scenarios, it's very clear that Jarrod Skalde and company aren't worried about the statistics. Their focus has been on the here and now. One game at a time...and tonight is no different. Here are some other bullet points to help you get ready for the action tonight:
- Michael Houser will start tonight (obviously)...since Brian Foster got summoned to San Antonio, it's been Houser's net. All he has done is go 9-0-1 in his last 10 starts. The Clones have added another goalie, Brent Troyan, to back him up for the weekend.
- Speaking of additions, the Clones have added a couple new faces...forwards Tyler Fernandez and Chris Kaleta. Fernandez opted to leave his team in Knoxville after posting 49 points in 41 games this year. He's also seen some time in the ECHL this season with Greenville. Kaleta, meanwhile, is going to make his pro debut tonight after completing a three-year career at SUNY-Cortland. He's got some great hockey blood...his brother Patrick plays for the Buffalo Sabres while his dad Alex played more than 300 NHL games. Fernandez will wear #61 and Kaleta will wear #20.
- Josh Birkholz didn't make the trip and will obviously not play this weekend...he got banged up a bit last weekend and is still recovering.
- We'll likely see another Buckeye tonight in the Trenton net...Cal Heeter has been assigned from the Adirondack Phantoms recently and will most likely be between the pipes. He's 2-2 this season with a 3.14 GAA. He was teammates with Cyclones defenseman Chris Reed.
PROGRAMMING NOTE: With the Big Ten basketball tournament going on, we won't be on FM 100 The FAN tonight...it'll be internet only. We'll come on the air, as usual, 20 minutes prior to tonight's opening face-off. Join us beginning at 6:45pm. We WILL be on The FAN tomorrow, however.
BIG congrats to Cyclones alum David Desharnais...he has signed a four-year, $14 million extension with the Montreal Canadiens today!
The NHL has approved the new league alignment...which is going to be very exciting...we'll discuss in tonight's Enterprise Rent-A-Car 1st Intermission Report. Hear what Gary Bettman had to say on the matter...