Nick Brunker's Blog

« More Posts

One crazy night...

February 2, 2013 | View Comments

One crazy night...

Well that was one heck of a frustrating, wild game in Evansville last night!


The goal that tied was questionable at the puck didn't appear to have crossed the line all the way.  Yet, the Clones were unable to hold three different one-goal leads and they earned a point in a shootout loss.  It could be worse...they got a point to extend their buffer over Fort Wayne.


Here's how it went down...


Right off the opening face-off, Andrew Conboy jumped on top of Nathan Moon, who turtled to the ice and did not attempt to fight back.  Conboy was given a five minute major and a game misconduct...setting up an Evansville extended power play out of the gate.  They cashed in when Dylan Clarke fed Anthony Nigro in the low slot and he slid in the power play goal at 1:51.


But after killing the remaining time on the major penalty, the Clones went right to work.  Josh Shalla one-timed a beautiful shot past Dainton over the glove to knot things at 1.


And they didn't stop there...right off of a face-off, Garrett Wilson managed to force a puck past Dainton to give the Cyclones a 2-1 lead despite the wacky start.


Unfotunately, the lead would be short lived as Jake Obermeyer made his way into the Cincinnati slot and buried the game-tying strike less than a minute later.  The teams would remain tied at 2 after 1 period.


The Cyclones set the tone early in the middle frame when Dan Eves let loose a laser of a wrist shot between the circles just 26 second in - giving Cincy another lead, this time at 3-2.


But once again, the IceMen found a way to tie it.  On another Evansville power play, Daniel Tetrault's point blast rebounded out in front off of Hetenyi where Nathan Moon was waiting.  The former Cyclone lifted in the power play goal to knot the score at three.


Before the break, the Cyclones would push ahead again.  The Aubin-Pelech-Eves combination continues to impress as they were able to connect for another goal.  Eves wrapped behind the net and fed a great back-door pass to Pelech who buried the go-ahead goal at 15:15 of the 2nd, making it 4-3.


Things were close early the third but the Cyclones held the lead...that was until the 3:22 mark.  A puck was batted toward the net and bounced along the goal line...the light came on...and the referee (who was out of position) apparently saw the puck cross the line.  I still question whether or not it made it all the way over...but the game was tied nonetheless.  Josh Beaulieu ultimately got credit and the teams went into OT tied at 4.


After a scoreless five minute extra session, the teams remained deadlocked and we needed a shootout to decide it.  After three rounds withouth a goal...round four proved to be the difference.  After Wilson missed Cincinnati's offering, Dylan Clarke cut down the ice and barely beat Hetenyi over the blocker to push his team ahead.  And when David Pacan missed his fifth round shot, the IceMen picked up the win.


At the end of the day, the Clones got a point and after all was said and done in the North tonight, they hold an eight point lead over Fort Wayne and a four point edge ove Toledo.  Not too shabby.  But Saturday night is gonna be BIG!