Nick Brunker's Blog
Closing Out November
November 28, 2012 | View Comments
The Clones battle Evansville in hopes of exacting some revenge after the IceMen snuck out a 4-3 win last time out.
Head Coach Jarrod Skalde has told us this week that his team needs to stay focused and respect the IceMen despite their poor record and injury-ridden lineup. They must give it their all.
We'll be on the air tonight at 7:15pm on the Cyclones Radio Network! Hope you'll be with us in person, but if not, tune us in on CyclonesHockey.com / American One / Cyclones Mobile App!
Some items you need to know for tonight...
- Stay out of the penalty box...plain and simple. While this is a priority for the Clones every night, the IceMen have earned nearly half of their offense on the power play. They have 19 of their 47 goals have come with the man advantage.
- Get shots on net...the IceMen have allowed 67 goals this season, which ranks 2nd to last in the Eastern Conference. Both Rob Madore and Paul Karpowich have GAA's above 3.00 - which means the more shots the better.
- Agressive Bird Gets the Worm...the Clones have found their best success when they're throwing their weight around and controlling the tempo. They fell vicitm at times to the IceMen getting momentum in the first matchup. The better the forechecking pressure the Cyclone get...the better they have been.
- Brian Foster will start in net tonight for Cincinnati...he played on Friday night but wasn't quite ready to go back-to-back - which gave Zoltan Hetenyi a chance to play (and shine). "Fozzie" is on pace for a 32-win season and ranks third in the ECHL in wins. His 2.24 GAA is fifth best. Bottom line...if he plays the way he has all year, the Clones have a great chance of winning the game tonight.
- Looking forward to seeing John McFarland...this guy has some tremendous pedigree coming in. The rookie forward was assigned to the Clones yesterday and will hopefully add to a strong offensive arsenal. He was a 2nd round pick of the Panthers in 2009 and has been nearly a point-a-game guy in the OHL over the last 4 seasons. He had 189 points in 217 career games. Perhaps as impressively, he was selected first overall in the OHL draft by Sudbury. So far in his first year pro, he had 3 assists in 11 games with San Antonio. He'll wear #17 tonight for Cincy.
- Some Familiar Faces Return...great to see Josh Shalla and Charles-Olivier Roussel back in the Cyclones room this morning! Those two were playing at a very high level when they were (understandably) summoned to the AHL. Shalla provides a big scoring punch while Roussel was one of the Clones most consistent and physical rear guards.
A new twist in the NHL Lockout negotiations....both sides have agreed to meet with a mediator.
....but Scott Burnside from ESPN says don't expect them to work miracles...
An interesting read on how the lockout is affecting the NHL merchandising business...
Great to hear that Blake Geoffrion has been cleared to return home after suffering a skull fracture after this hit (be careful, it's graphic)...
Have something too add to the blog? A news story, photo, or link? Email me!