Nick Brunker's Blog
Gameday in Greenville...
November 9, 2012 | View Comments
The Cyclones are making their first stop in the South Division tonight as they visit the Greenville Road Warriors for the first of just three regular season meetings.
Here's what you need to know about tonight's matchup...
- The Clones have had tremendous success vs. the South under Jarrod Skalde...they've collected a 21-11-1-0 mark since 2009-10. They ar 4-3-0-2 all-time vs. Greenville.
- Not a shocker, but Brian Foster will be between the pipes once again for Cincinnati...he's the goalie of record for all of the Clones games this year (6-0-2) and is second in the ECHL leaderboard in wins. Time and again, he's made the critical save at the critical time to help his team to victory.
- The Cyclones power play might be destined for a great night...they are going up against a Road Warriors team that has had to kill off the sixth-most power plays of any team in the ECHL and ranks 20th out of 23 teams in the penalty kill.
- While early leads are big...it's the later periods where Cincinnati has shined the most. They have outscored their opponents 18-14 in the final two periods combined and 9-5 in the third frame. Ironically, the Clones have actually scored first in five of their eight games thus far.
- Garrett Wilson makes his return tonight....the skilled second-year forward missed last week with a minor, but nagging injury and will be back in the lineup. He is an important part to Cincinnati's success offensively - posting goals in four different games. The Clones are 4-0-0 when he has a point.
- Keys to a win tonight...Greenville is a team that gets awfully frustrated when things don't go their way early in games. As we've seen, they seem to take bad penalties at bad times and can end up shooting themselves in the foot. Cincinnati has to keep the pressure up and make the Road Warriors work for loose pucks. The forecheck will be as important as ever tonight...forcing the issue is BIG.
It will be great to see some Cyclones jerseys in the stands this weekend! A large contingent of Cyclones fans have made their way to Greenville on the Hudepohl Party Bus and will be cheering on Jarrod Skalde's team in person! I can tell ya, from the players I've talked to, having support on the road from Cyclones fans really does make a difference. Should be a fun weekend!
Some NHL Lockout news...the two sides met for five hours yesterday...and apparently are making progres.
Donald Fehr had a post-meeting memo to players...here's part of what he said...read the full memo thanks to our friend at ProHockeyTalk.com...
No new proposals were exchanged on pension issues, but we will discuss this issue again tomorrow (Friday). We did receive a proposal on revenue sharing in response to the proposal we made this week, but this subject still needs considerable work. In short, the concessions on future salary we have offered (at least $948 Million to $1.25 Billion over five years, depending on HRR growth) are not enough. We are still being told that more salaries must be conceded, and that very valuable player contracting rights must be surrendered. So, while we are meeting again, and while some steps are being taken, there is still a lot of work to be done and bridges to be crossed before an agreement can be made.